The mission of Sky Creek Dharma Center is to support and sustain the activities of Buddhist sanghas* and offer the Dharma to the community.
The objectives of Sky Creek Dharma Center are to:
- Provide a permanent meditation hall and meeting facility shared by Buddhist meditation and other dharma groups in Chico and the surrounding communities;
- Support mindful living through spiritual education, community service and other activities;
- Provide a venue for celebrations of Buddhist and other spiritual gatherings;
- Provide a facility for spiritual enrichment and educations events such as retreats, classes and workshops;
- Provide a serene location for celebrations of life transitions, such as births, marriages and deaths;
- Support non-partisan advocacy activities in the spirit of engaged Buddhism;
- Encourage practices that embody the connection between spirituality and environmental accountability; and
- Provide, manage and grow our resources effectively to ensure our ability to achieve these objectives.
* Sangha is a word in Pali or Sanskrit that can be translated roughly as “association” or “assembly,” “company” or “community” with a common goal, vision or purpose. Sangha is the third of the Three Jewels in Buddhism (Buddha, Dharma, Sangha). The term is commonly used in several senses to refer to Buddhist groups.